Entries with Surname (Title)s starting with 'S'

Surname: Suba
Christian Names: Robert
Country: Australia
State or Province: South Australia
City or Town: Victor Harbour
Service #: Not Known
Service: ARA & ARES
Branch: Not Known
Commencement of service: Unknown
Completion of service: Unknown
Case Notes:

When we are hit with disasters from time to time, we all know we can rely on community service groups such as the State Emergency Service (SES). These men and women give up much of their own time and energy to support fellow citizens in times of great need. Robert Suba is one such man with a long involvement in the SES at Victor Harbour in South Australia and for that he is to be applauded. Unfortunately, like many others in emergency service work, Mr Suba does not seem to understand the protocol in place when it comes to the wearing of medals.

In the above photo, taken at a formal commemorative service in Victor Harbour, we can see displayed on Suba’s chest, from left to right, the National Medal with 2 clasps, the Australian Defence Medal, the South Australia Emergency Services Medal, the SES Long Service Medal and the United Nations International Year of the Volunteer Medal.
This is a pretty impressive rack and the 2 clasps to Suba’s National Medal, indicate that he has over 35 years of community service, something he should rightly feel proud of.

However, only 2 of the medals, the National Medal and the ADM, are allowed to be displayed on the left side of the chest. These are official Australian National Medals and protocol dictates that they not be mixed for display with other Sate/Territory, or commemorative medals.

The protocol is clearly outlined on the Australian Government’s official awards and decoration website, It’s an Honour www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/awards/wearing.cfm
Similarly, the protocol is also laid out on the South Australian SES website at www.ses.sa.gov.au/public/download.jsp?id=71598
And as Mr Suba is also a member of the Victor Harbour RSL Sub-branch, had he checked the RSL’s own site, he would also have been made aware of how decorations and awards are to be displayed. www.rslsa.org.au/customdata/index.cfm?fu...emID=5159&OrgID=1113

The bottom line is that there is no excuse for anyone to be wearing a mixture of Official National medals, State awards and commemorative ‘tin’ medals.

To his credit Robert Suba promptly responded to our query regarding the medals he was wearing in the photograph. He told us that at the time of adding the SA Emergency Services medal, the SES had not completed its dress code regarding the wearing of medals. However, after reading the current SES protocol he now understands the correct and official protocol and has given an undertaking that he will rectify the mounting of his official and State decorations.

Suba’s case is yet another example of both ESO’s and emergency service organisations either being unaware of, or choosing to ignore, the protocols which exist regarding awards and decorations. This is a constant issue for us at ANZMI and perhaps it is time for organisations affected by this to send out a written reminder to their members on what is required.

Surname: Sullivan
Christian Names: Raymond Francis
Country: Australia
State or Province: NSW
City or Town: Unknown
Service #: 2166936
Service: Army (National Service & ARES)
Branch: Catering Corps
Commencement of service: 02 Mar 68
Completion of service: See Case Notes
Case Notes:

Raymond Francis Sullivan was born 1944. In March, 1968, at 24 years of age, he commenced compulsory National Service Training in the Australian Army.    Subsequent to his National Service commitment, Sullivan continued part time service with the Army Reserve.   Below is his National Service record.

In the next image, Sullivan can be seen wearing (Court Mounted in fact), the following medals:

1. The Reserve Forces Medal (Entitled);

2. Australian Defence Medal (Entitled);

3. Anniversary of National Service Medal (Entitled); and

4. National Service tin purchased unofficial medal. (Not entitled to be worn with official medals)

Sullivan is another example of a member of the Australian National Servicemen's Association adding a tin unofficial medal to his two genuinely awarded medals.

This ‘tin’ is not, nor has it ever been an official medal.

He served his time, he completed his required duty as did hundreds of thousands of other National Servicemen. He should be satisfied with that. There is no need to purchase tin medals and add them to his genuinely awarded medals. Doesn't make sense.

It is also a concern that he was able to get the medals Court Mounted.   Any reputable Medal Mounter would refuse to mount official medals with tin rubbish but it is clear from the photograph that a dubious medal mounter is out there somewhere.

The pages of the ANZMI website are littered with examples of National Servicemen like Sullivan, who just cannot be satisfied with the official recognition their service warrants.   Just have a look at the following ANZMI cases:

Bauerle

Burzacott

Collins (Bega RSL Sub Branch)

Flood (Bega RSL Sub Branch)

Witchard (Bega RSL Sub Branch)

Unfortunately, there are many, many more on or website.

The National Servicemen's Association of Australia have to get their act in order and discipline their members for ignoring long established medals protocols, in order to maintain respect and dignity within the Australian Defence Force and Veteran community.

Welcome to our website Raymond Sullivan.

Surname: Sutton
Christian Names: Grant Francis
Country: Australia
State or Province: Queensland
City or Town: Brisbane
Service: Army Reserves/Army
Branch: Infantry
Completion of service: 2000
Case Notes:

Grant Francis SUTTON of Brisbane, Queensland is another modern day wannabe claiming to have served on combat operations and being a qualified member of 1 Commando Regiment.

Grant SUTTON was first spotted at the Beenleigh Returned and Services League (RSL) Queensland on Remembrance Day 2012 with a few other members of the Military Brotherhood Military Motor Cycle club (MBMMC) and on a number of other occasions wearing various medals and embellishments for service in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Medals and Badges

As can be seen from the photograph, they are;

Australian Active Service Medal 1975 (not entitled)

Afghanistan Medal (not entitled)

Iraq Medal (not entitled)

Australian Service Medal 1975 (not entitled)

Defence Long Service Medal (not entitled) (min 15 years’ service required)

Australian Defence Medal entitled

Above the medals he is wearing the AIRN (Army Individual Readiness Badge) which is only worn by serving members on certain uniforms and not on civilian dress.

ICB (Infantry Combat Badge) (not entitled)

RASB (Returned from Active Service Badge) (not entitled)

Note he has no awards for East Timor.

He was spoken to at the Beenleigh RSL and as a result the following email was sent to the MBMMC as follows;