Entries with Surname (Title)s starting with 'P'

Surname: Peterson aka Piatkws
Christian Names: Christian Rudolph aka Rudolph
Country: Australia
State or Province: Queensland
City or Town: Gold Coast
Service #: 3790478
Service: Australian Army
Branch: Royal Australian Artillery
Commencement of service: 01 Feb 67, 20 Jan 70
Completion of service: 31 Jan 69, 10 Dec 82
Case Notes:

An important attribute of an Australian Commissioned Army Officer, is that they are honourable and honest. Christian Peterson lacks these qualities as he falsely claims to be a returned veteran who served in the Vietnam War. He has also dishonestly promoted himself from Army Reserve Temporary Captain to Major.

Peterson served as a National Serviceman during the Vietnam era but was never deployed on any overseas service. He completed his National Service obligation with the rank of Temporary Bombardier (Corporal). He reenlisted into the Army Reserve in 1971 and attending the Officer Cadet Training Unit, where he graduated as a Second Lieutenant in the Royal Australian Artillery Corps (RAA). He was subsequently promoted to Lieutenant and then to Temporary Captain prior to his discharge in 1982. As was the case during his National Service he was never posted to any areas of conflict.

When politely seeking information from Peterson, he challenged us with the foolish email shown below:

"From: Christian Peterson
To: ANZMI
You will hear from my lawyers as previously stated. You will not discover any information as I've changed my name by deed pole
Your investigations are an intrusion and to say the least, illegal"
.

Despite Peterson's confidence about his secrets, we discovered that he changed his name from Rudolph Christian Piatkowski to Christian Rudolph Peterson. He kept his original name a secret, as part of his strategy to keep his military history secret.

He has been heard to say that he had to change his name to advance his military career.

Here is what he has said about his Vietnam "War service". He;

"Served in Vietnam as a Commissioned Officer and Commanded forty men.
Served behind enemy lines

Saw people killed and, raided villages and shot someone

Was part of the Australian Secret Service for ten years

Coordinated missions from United States Destroyer USS Wainwright (DLG/CG-28.

Was the leader and number one Scout of his troop to set an example".

He also states that he "Knows all about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) as he suffered from it for twenty years, but overcame it himself with no support or assistance from Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)"

Veterans are sickened by lily livered, dishonourable fools who make claims of heroic service in war zones. There are thousands of Veterans who everyday suffer the consequences of their war service because of PTSD, for Peterson to say he overcame it without support, is proof enough that he knows nothing about war service.

We contacted Christian Peterson with a polite email to seek confirmation about his "War service". After some to and from, instead of just telling us about his military service, as would any reasonable ex commissioned Army Officer, he commenced a string threats and denials.

"From: Christian Peterson
I'm forwarding all your emails and mine to my lawyer, who'll issue a desist notice to you and your organisation. Threatening me will not work. You are questioning reputation and honesty

From: Christian Peterson
Look as hard as you like, you will not find what I did and where!!!!"

From: ANZMI

Without your input we can only conclude that you are a liar and a fraud.

From: Christian Peterson
"I'm neither, but keep digging. You'll not fine (sic) out my military history. I've got nothing to hide:)"

In relation to the above electronic discourse we publicly respond as follows:

Go ahead, send your emails to your solicitor, but make sure you tell him/her that you have deliberately and dishonourably lied about your military history.

We did keep digging as suggested and soon found your true military history and what you have lied about.

Peterson shows on a Curriculum Vitae displayed on the social media website LinkedIn the following:

Notice that he says "I have reinvented my career a number of times". We know he has reinvented his Military History, and are confident that there are more lies associated with his other claims of expertise.

Peterson struts around like a "Toff" and boasts to have been an Australian Army Officer, Engineer, Instructional Designer, Broadcaster, Print Journalist, Corporate Communicator and Business Owner, we don't know how much truth there is in his claims, but we do know that his claimed exploits of being an Army Major in the Vietnam war are despicable lies.

His actual military service was very mundane and completed on Australian soil.

A dishonourable ex Army Officer is totally un Australian. Peterson is a dishonourable ex Army Officer and well deserves to reside on this web site

Surname: Phillips
Christian Names: Paul Stephan
Country: Australia
State or Province: NSW
City or Town: Wollongong
Service: Army
Branch: Infantry
Case Notes:

Paul Stephan Phillips Service Number 222341 is an ex serviceperson who served his country as an infantry man. For that he should be proud.  Instead of pride however, he followed a path of jealousy and deceit.  He pretended to be a veteran of the Vietnam War and wore ribbons and medals not conferred on him.  These acts, if true, are offences under sections 80A and 80B of the Defence Act 1903 and each can incur penalties of up to $3300.00 and or 6 months imprisonment.  If you want to review the evidence of this persons alleged offences, read here.

Paul Stephen Phillips, born 9th September 1952 is, we have been advised, an ex student who attended Christian Brothers College in Crown Lane, now known as Edmund Rice College, Wollongong.  Edmund Rice College honours its ex-students who served in WW2 or Vietnam by placing their name on an honour board. Below is a photo of the Colleges honour board for the Vietnam War.

There are people on that board who we know served their country with honour and bravery.  To maintain their privacy we have obliterated their names.  But see, there is the name of our hero, Phillips P.  This has been confirmed by the college as being Paul Phillips and that the reason he is on the board is because he claimed to have been in the Vietnam War

Paul Phillips claims to have commenced six years military service in March 1969.  When he first made this claim it was pointed out to him that he would have only been 17 at the time and so he changed the date of commencement to March 1970.  This, of course is an easy mistake to make when you are remembering dates from all those years ago, but read on.  He claims that he did his corps training at Ingleburn between March and September and was then posted to 7 RAR at Holsworthy until embarkation to Vietnam.  He claims to have travelled to Vietnam by ship, a trip of six weeks, where he disembarked at Cam Ran Bay.  He then travelled by truck to his battalion destination.  Whilst in Vietnam he saw Little Patty entertain the troops from the back of a truck and he took his R&R in Butterworth and Penang.  He finished his tour of Vietnam and returned to Australia in September 1971 and continued at Holsworthy with 7 RAR for five years.  He was known to have completed a parachute course and when asked about this he states that he served with the SAS in Western Australia until his discharge in 1983.  When asked what he had done in the SAS he stated, "Do you want me to kill you? Do you know what the SAS is?"   He stated during this conversation that he had completed his military service at the rank of Corporal.   On other occasions he and his wife have been heard to say that he retired from the Australian Army with the rank of Captain and that the Army had assisted with his further education.

Mr. Phillips regularly attends the ANZAC Day ceremonies in Wollongong.  Here is a photo of the proud veterans marching in Wollongong on ANZAC Day 2006.  The crowd on either side of the road are clapping and cheering them, and so they should.  Little do they know that in the midst of the marchers there is a wannabe falsely pretending to be a returned veteran.

One of those marchers wearing the ribbons of the Vietnam Medal and the Vietnam Campaign Medal and also what appears to be the Infantry Combat Badge and the SAS beret badge, is Paul Stephen Phillips. See the cropped photo below from the march.

What is wrong with this?  He marches in ANZAC Day parades and has his name on the   school honour board as a person who served his country in the Vietnam war.

A brief history of 7 RAR and 5/7 RAR will tell you that:

7 RAR was formed at Puckapunyal, Victoria on 1st September 1965 as part of the Australian Army's build up for the Vietnam War.  The Battalion subsequently served twice in Phuoc Tuy Province, South Vietnam.  The first tour was from April 1967 and the second from February 1970.  Both tours lasted approximately 12 months and during this time 7 RAR was deployed on 48 operations.  7 RAR was eventually linked with 5/7 RAR in December 1973.  The colours have been laid up at the Soldiers Chapel at Kapooka, NSW.  Approximately 2,400 men served with the Seventh.  Of these thirty three were killed and 220 were recorded as wounded.

5/7 RAR was formed at Tobruk Lines, Holsworthy on 3rd December 1973.  5 RAR and 7 RAR were linked to form the new Battalion.  The 5 RAR Mascot, Sgt Quintus, and the 7 RAR Pipes and Drums were adopted by 5/7 RAR.

Throughout 1974, 5/7 RAR was involved in individual and company training.  C Company spent the period March to June 1974 in Malaysia supporting the RAAF at Butterworth.

During 1975 the Battalion was involved in assisting the civilian population after Cyclone Tracy in Darwin.

We know from his Australian Army Record of Service that Private Paul Stephan Phillips 222341 joined the Army and went to 1RTB on 1 August 1972, this was after 7 RAR had returned from Vietnam for the last time.  After his corps training at RA Inf Centre he served with 7 RAR until the battalion became part of 5/7 RAR.

Private Phillips went with C Company 5/7 RAR to Butterworth on 5th March 1974 returning to Sydney on 4th June 1974.  He was married on 27th June 1974.

He failed a Clerk Admin Course in October 1973 and obtained a C Pass on a basic parachute course on 13th June 1975.

The years that Mr Phillips states that he was serving with the SAS are within the 30 year rule so we have not been able to obtain service records for this period.  We have been reliably informed that he did not serve with the SAS at any time.

Since the matter was reported to ANZMI, photos and Statutory Declarations have been provided and inquiries made to prove or negate these allegations.  During these inquiries contact was made with the VVAA at Illawara.  The president of that sub-branch stated that Phillips was not a member nor had ever been a member.  He did indicate in his email that he was well aware of the claims and counter claims involving this ex-serviceman.

We have been advised that on Tuesday 15th August 2006 Mr Phillips attended a meeting at the VVAA Illawara Sub-branch relating to the 40th Anniversary of Long Tan.  It is alleged that at that meeting he asked if he could be excused from wearing his medals at the dinner for that Anniversary as his medals had been stolen during a break-in at his home and at the time his wife's jewellery was stolen. As a result of this request another member offered to loan Mr Phillips a set of miniatures and it is believed that it was those miniatures that Mr Phillips wore to the dinner for the Anniversary of Long Tan on the 18th August 2006.

The photo below is of Mr Phillips at that dinner wearing those miniatures.  It is very poor quality but as shown above we have evidence contained in  this Statutory Declaration that this is the case.

It is a sad fact that, for a variety of reasons, we have wannabes in our community.  In the case of Mr Phillips we would like to know why an ex servicemen would stoop to such low levels of deceit to steal the honour of those who served and those who gave their health and lives in service during conflict involving Australian troops.

Government has stated that they see these offences as very serious and have increased the penalties considerably.  There should be no need for veterans to be required to expose these wannabe's.  This is the role of law enforcement.  Alas, the truth is that law enforcement claim they do not have the resources to police these offences. We have been let down by the system and it is left to veterans to police this area of the law, albeit without the ability to impose the penalties stipulated in legislation and without the authority to obtain evidence from the various sources that are available to Government agencies and with out protection under the law when doing so.  This is not the way it should be.  The only way this will change is for the veteran community to let their political representatives know that we, the veteran community, are not satisfied with this farce.

 Evidence tending to prove offences committed by Paul Stephan Phillips is contained within this report.  That is as far as ANZMI can go.  It is now up to the regulatory bodies, the police and CDPP to take appropriate action as required by enacted legislation.  It is also a matter for an affected Ex-Service persons Organisation to take what ever action is required under ESO By-Laws.

The case of Paul Stephen Phillips has received some attention in the last few days.  First, shortly after the case was posted on the ANZMI web site, an email was received from Mr Phillips apologising for his mistakes.  As you can see below there is nothing in this 'heartfelt apology' to indicate that he disagreed with the the case, in fact quite the contrary.