Entries with Surname (Title)s starting with 'M'

Surname: Meehan
Christian Names: Terrence John
Country: Australia
State or Province: QLD
City or Town: Unknown
Case Notes:

Terence John Meehan Queensland Branch Returned Services League (RSL) State President.

Meehan, the Queensland State President of the RSL is a medals cheat. Be assured we take no pleasure in exposures of high profile Veterans; however, neither status nor position deters us. The higher the status the greater the offence, because public appearances and medals protocol are all part of the high profile individuals responsibilities. If a RSL State President can thumb his nose at protocol, and wear whatever he likes, then the integrity of the Defence Service medals system is doomed.

In recent times ANZMI has been assailed with vicious and obscene emails from executives of the Australian Peace Keepers and Peace Makers Veterans Association (APPVA) because a very senior member of their organisation was featured for wearing a “Tin” medal. It behooves our organisation to work without fear or favour and to expose those who do not follow medals protocol and choose to add that extra “pretty medal” to their Defence Force rack.

Hence we feature ex RAN Veteran, Terence Meehan, the Queensland State Branch, President of the RSL with expectations of “thunderous protest” from those who do not respect medals rules and protocols.

The offending medal is second from the right and is the Western Australia (WA) State Police Medal.  See below:

Meehan served in the WA State Police and was issued the medal by the State of WA.  Protocol for wearing State and Territory Government Awards is clearly promulgated on the Federal Government Medals web site  http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/

“Unofficial medals

Ex-service organisations sometimes commission their own unofficial medals to mark participation in particular military campaigns, periods of service or types of service that have not been recognised through the Australian honours system. Awards made by foreign governments which have not been approved by the Governor-General for acceptance and wear are also "unofficial". There is no impediment to wearing such medals in appropriate private settings, such as a meeting of the relevant ex-service association, or a reception hosted by the relevant foreign government. Ideally, unofficial medals should not be worn at public ceremonial and commemorative events, but if they are worn as the occasion demands, the convention is that they are worn on the right breast.

Q14.       How do I wear my state awards?

A14.       State awards are worn on the right breast because only national awards in the

               Order of Wearing  Australian Honours and Awards are worn on the left breast.”

During 2012, Qld RSL republished a feature in the “Qld RSL News” from the South Australian RSL booklet “The Signal”, written by Keith Harrison, see excerpt below:

“Ideally, unofficial medals should not be worn. However if they are worn as the occasion demands, they may be worn on the right breast.

Meehan, as an RSL State President, must be aware that he is responsible to set an example by following medals protocol. If he is not capable of this simple task, it beggars belief that within Qld RSL State HQs, there is so little care given to the traditions of the Service.

Update Terrence Meehan - Queensland Returned and Services League (RSL) President -  07 April 2014

We are nonplussed and amazed at a recent announcement made by the National President RSL. See his announcement below

NATIONAL PRESIDENT'S NEWSLETTER No 3 of 2014

The repercussions from this statement will be immense, it means that on ANZAC day 2014, there could be thousands of State Medals added to the end of Defence racks. This could include Police Service Medals, Fire Fighters Medals, Ambulance Medals, and any other medal issued by State Governments. It could then be extrapolated to include Regional Council medals and all manner of trinkets.

Instructions from the office of the Governor General are very clear and based on the following statement:

MEDALS NOT ISSUED BY THE SOVEREIGN MUST NOT BE MIXED WITH MEDALS THAT ARE ISSUED BY THE SOVEREIGN.

We believe that Meehan wears his State Police Medal on the basis that a Western Australia Police Commissioner issued a decree that Western Australia Police Medals could be worn at the end of Defence Medals. This also happened with the Northern Territory and the New South Wales Correction Services. This ruling is of course contrary to our Governor Generals policy

It is a sad situation when the National President of the RSL, and the Queensland RSL State President do not understand that State employed Commissioners have no authority to make policy regarding National Medals that are issued by the Sovereign.

Simply put, the National President's latest statement, and Meehan's behaviour degrades the value of hard earned Defence Medals.

It appears, the National President has made his amazing statement following an announcement recorded in the Minutes of the Queensland Northern District Sixteenth Annual General Meeting and Conference held on 22 March 2014.

Initially Meehan "fell on his sword" and issued a "heartfelt apology" for his poor form in mixing a State Medal with his Sovereign conferred medals

"Good Afternoon,

Some time ago I had my medals re-mounted by a person whom I believed to be a reputable dealer, I was advised that medals awarded(as opposed to commemorative medals purchased) by both State and Federal Governments were to be worn on the left breast this advice has now been shown to be incorrect.

Yesterday I had the medal removed from my defence force rack, I unreservedly apologise for offending members of the defence community.

Kind regards
Terry Meehan
State President
RSL (Queensland Branch)"

Since his apologetic epistle, a medal's whisperer appears to have got into his ear and without Meehan properly checking the whisperer's advice, has done a three hundred and sixty degree turnaround. Hence his statement at the Queensland Annual conference. It is also reliably reported that Meehan is mumbling about suing ANZMI for defamation. We believe he has even "identified" some individuals to have his Process Servers target.

Meehan is causing turmoil and angst in the RSL. As an RSL State President he has worn a medal contrary to protocol and policy. He has apologised for his actions, then recanted, then influenced the National President of the RSL to make an incorrect announcement and exacerbate the problem of tacking State Medals to Federal Medals.

In essence Meehan is a "bumbler". Evidence of his bumbling leadership is particularly apparent in the Gold Coast region of Queensland where medals cheats and wannabes abound as executives in RSLs.

In Summary

Meehan's continued wearing of the Western Australian Police Medal, and his action being ratified by the National RSL President will open the door to the devaluation of Defence medals.

We can expect an explosion of activity by medals mounters, stitching on all kinds of State and other Awards to Defence racks.

The RSL is in a Lassez-faire style of leadership, where medals cheats and wannabes are able to rule the roost.

This is a monumental error. Australian Veterans must ensure that One Hundred years of tradition is not trashed because of the vanity and ignorance of a leader. State Medals must be worn on the right hand side and are not to be included on the left mixed with hard earned Defence Medals.

Meehan as an RSL leader has shown reckless disregard for protocols and tradition and has entangled the National RSL President in his disregard. In essence he has brought the RSL into disrepute.

This is published in the public interest, particularly that of the Vietnam Veteran Community. All information presented here is fact and the truth. Reports from the private citizens are supported by statement of fact and statutory declarations.

Update Terrence Meehan - Queensland Returned and Services League (RSL) President -  23 Oct 14

As described in our last update, Terry Meehan incorrectly berated ANZMI for "wrongly" exposing him for wearing a State medal with his Defence Medals.

He also embarrassed the RSL National President by having him make a statement in support of his recalcitrance. Rear Admiral Ken Doolan AO RAN Rtd specifically stated that "It is hoped ANZMI will correct this mistake on their website and more closely check the facts in future"

At the last Annual General Meeting of the Queensland RSL we note that Meehan has adjusted his medals by removing the offending Western Australia State Medal. Obviously he has realised that he was wrong.

Perhaps both Mr Meehan and Rear Admiral Doolan OA RAN Rtd may wish to apologise to ANZMI for their incorrect and disparaging remarks.

Most Veterans and ex Service personnel support ANZMI, we have vast support from all over Australia and Overseas. The support base covers Veterans from World War 2 to current Middle East conflicts. There are very few detractors.

Those who campaign against us, and threaten us, are those who have been exposed as wannabes frauds and liars.

We are self funded. We are not allied to any other organisation whatsoever and we proceed without fear or favour.

Simply put, to have two top executives of our senior ex service organisation wrongly question our integrity requires an apology.

In this matter we have achieved our objective, Meehan has adjusted his medal rack. and we have pointed out that degrading medals protocol and then disparaging ANZMI is not what is expected from a leader of the Veteran Community

Surname: Meehan
Christian Names: Bryan Michael
Country: Australia
State or Province: Victoria
City or Town: Myrtlford
Service #: 3790016
Service: Army
Branch: Infantry
Completion of service: 1968
Case Notes:

Bryan Meehan is Secretary of the Myrtleford, Victoria,  Returned and Services League (RSL).

Meehan1

Meehan wears five medals they are:

Australian Active Service Medal  (AASM)

Vietnam Medal (VM)

Australian Defence Medal (ADM)

Commemoration of National Service Medal (CNSM)

Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal  (RVCM)  -  Not entitled

As an Infantry Soldier in Vietnam, Meehan certainly earned the first four medals, but he did not fulfil the requirements to wear the RVCM.  The requisites are clear and concise and cannot be changed because the medal was presented by the now non existent country, The Republic of Vietnam.  Here are the requirements:

Meehan

Meehan served for 154 days,  which is 27 days short of the required 181 days.  He was not medically evacuated as being a battle casualty.

Meehan

Meehan was contacted and he asserted that he was entitled to wear the medal because he had no leave whilst in Vietnam and the medal was endorsed on his Army Records. When asked to produce the certificate he refused to do so.  He was insistent about the matter and declined further discussion.

Perhaps those from the Myrtelford RSL can ensure that he becomes cognizant of the details for wearing the medal and make sure he removes the medal from his rack.

Meehan says he has worn the medal for fifty years, therefore fifty years ago, he would have purchased it and had it mounted on his rack. He knew then that it was not legitimate.

Surname: Meiers
Christian Names: William John
Country: Australia
State or Province: Queensland
City or Town: Wondai
Service #: 3174783
Service: CMF
Branch: Artillery
Commencement of service: 26/01/1965
Completion of service: 01/10/1971
Case Notes:

UPDATE  June 2018

Since publishing the report about William John Meiers of Wondai Queensland, we have received further information about his false claims to be a returned veteran.  Here is a clearer picture of him on ANZAC day 2018.

Meiersupdate1

More of his disgraceful lies have come to light.

Meiersupdate2

His stupidity is evidenced by his use of the term "Nam" instead of "Vietnam".  Genuine veterans never us the term "Nam".  He also claims to have been at Fire Support Base Coral,  where he fired at the enemy over "open sights at 100 yards". He was not there.

From a Facebook entry, Meiers talks about number  ‘6’ gun of 12 Field Regiment that featured in the Battle of Coral in Vietnam.  Meiers claims to have been there, but he wasn't.  He has written the word "books" in the second sentence, we assume he meant to write "gooks" which is another term never used in Vietnam.

Meiersuipdate3 Copy

Here is a shocker.  Meiers gives adoration to the Australian flag because he fought under it and his mates died under it.  He is lying sham of a man.

Meiersupdate4

Finally with great confidence in his deceit, he led the Wondai RSL Sub Branch in their ANZAC Day march.

Meiers

Since publishing our first report we have heard nothing from Meiers.  He appears to be hiding, perhaps using the skills he learned in the jungles of Vietnam.  Be assured that glorying in the kudos of being a "Returned Soldier" may expand the ego,  but Australian and New Zealand Veterans will not tolerate the stealing of their honour.

Those who do, and are caught out, will appear on this website, which has a tendency to deflate the largest of egos.

***

CASE NOTES:

William John Meiers was born on 14 April 1946 and is a "Life Subscriber" member of the Returned and Service League (RSL) in Wondai Qld. He transferred from Jimboomba Qld in 2010. On the transfer certificate, his Army Unit is listed as 15 Fd Regt (15 Field Regiment) and his Regimental number 3174782.

William Meiers

William Meiers

Meiers is wearing lots of buttons and badges as well as Vietnam service medals. His array is somewhat askew, as the medals are not in their proper order. In the photograph he has:

1. Australian Active Service Medal
2. Vietnam Medal
3. Commemoration of National Service Medal
4. Australian Defence Medal.

Medals 3 and 4 are in the wrong order. This is a bungle no genuine Returned Veteran would make. It is however, a blunder that a conniving Wannabe and Medal Cheat would do.

Because wannabes lack the experience of genuine Returned Veterans, they believe they can fool all the people all the time. Being photographed wearing false medals is not a good strategy, and it is a major factor in bringing these caitiffs to the justice of the Returned Veterans communities.

Fortunately, there are observant Returned Veterans at the Wondai RSL, who picked up on aspects of Meiers’ behaviour and his medals rack, indicating that he was not the full package.

Obviously Wondai has not succumbed to the general malaise throughout the RSL, where numbers seem to take precedence over integrity. The RSL membership requirements are being gradually eroded whereby inexperienced people are monitoring membership criterion. This decrepitude starts at the very top, where the National President of the RSL is not a Returned Veteran.