Entries with Surname (Title)s starting with 'M'

Surname: McGibbon
Christian Names: Geoff
Country: Australia
State or Province: NSW
City or Town: Sydney
Service: Army
Branch: Electrician
Case Notes:
McGibbon Geoff

Bottom photograph courtesy
Brisbane Sunday Mail

Geoff McGibbon is a Veteran in his own right, contrary to what you may have seen on television news at the time of his exposure, however, he is one of the ever growing number of genuine Veterans who are not satisfied with their actual service and have to inflate their ego and civilian positions in life by claiming war service that is not rightfully theirs.  Geoff is one of these people.  He was good with his masquerade, very good, as he fooled a lot of people in high profile positions.  This includes not only the Veteran community as a whole, but genuine members of the SAS, the unit he claimed he served in, in Viet Nam, and also politicians, high court judges, the Royal Life Saving Society [RLSS] of which he became Executive Director and members of the United States Veteran Community including a couple of their Medal of Honor winners.

Let Geoff McGibbon's story be a lesson for all Veteran Organisations to take heed of.  Always check the bonefides of those applying for membership to your organisation.   Do not accept copies of discharge certificates. Sight the genuine article and take a copy of it for your records and if necessary contact the Central Army Records Office for verification of service prior to finally accepting any application for membership of your organisation.

Geoff McGibbon's actual overseas service and decorations are shown below:

Army Service Period: 1962 - 1967
Corps: RAEME, as an electrician
Overseas service: June 1963 - June 1964 - Papua New Guinea,
June 1965 to December 1965, Sabah and Singapore, and
January 1966 to October 1967 he was back in New Guinea.

Active Service: Sabah from June 1965 to November 1965 [5 months]

SAS Service: Nil

Viet Nam Service: Nil

Decorations and Awards: General Service Medal 1962 with clasp Borneo,
Australian Active Service Medal with clasp Malaysia
Australian Service Medal with clasp PNG
In the near future he may be entitled to apply for the about to be released, Malaysian Government medal for service in Malaya during the Malayan emergency and Indonesian confrontation period.

All of the above information less the new Malaysian medal, would have been listed on his GENUINE Discharge Certificate or available from the Central Army Records Office.

There will be more on McGibbon shown here on the site as soon as we wade through the mountain of paperwork forwarded to us on him.  In the meantime go to the link below and you will see what the media have disclosed on this man after investigating his past, when awarded the Order of Australia medal in this years Honour list.  CPMH supplied the photos and information on his military service and his medals to the media and there are major errors in  reporting the story.  The reporter has cropped the photo and stated that McGibbon said  "he had never worn false medals".  Now after reading this story right through you will be taken to the media section  of the site and see the uncropped photo showing these medals on his chest.  By our reckoning he is falsely representing himself to be a returned serviceperson [Viet Nam] and wearing awards which have not been bestowed upon him.  Both are offences against the Defence Act carrying maximum penalties of 6 months in prison and/or $3300 in fines.  He is entitled to medals for his service in Malaya and Sabah as a RAEME Electrician.  Will the Federal Police again refuse our request to have this person prosecuted in accordance with the Defence Act for wearing the Viet Nam Medals?

The story of Geoff McGibbon, SAS Viet Nam Veteran unfolded on 6 Feb 2005 in the Australian media, both in newspapers and on television Australia wide.   CPMH has been aware of McGibbon's false Viet Nam service for a long time and was preparing a site entry to be released once all information had been confirmed as accurate.  It was coincidental that at the same time a newspaper reporter, who shall at this stage remain nameless, had seen McGibbon's name in this years Honours list and has made a feeble effort to search into his background.  He realised that it was possible that McGibbon was a bogus Veteran and emailed CPMH to see what we knew about him.   CPMH responded to his request and forwarded to him the information we had confirmed as being correct, thinking that the reporter would publish the truth.  Accompanying this was a photograph showing McGibbon wearing Vietnam medals and a SAS beret.   This photo was cropped by the reporter to suit his lies printed and televised across Australia.  His credibility as a news reporter on Veteran matters, as far as we are concerned is now shot, and anything he may print or relay to Television news in the future on Veteran matters will not be considered as true facts, but a distorting of facts to suit his own agenda.  Just what is the agenda in this case, well read on and see if you agree with us.

The following is the true story of Geoff McGibbon that should have been relayed to both the written and electronic media by this reporter.  These are the facts we provided.  We will distinguish clearly what was provided and what was reported and you, the readers, make up your mind about everything shown below.

Geoff McGibbon is a genuine Veteran of Malaya and Sabah.
Geoff McGibbon is not an SAS or Viet Nam Veteran and has no entitlement to wear either the SAS beret or Viet Nam service medals.
Geoff McGibbon was awarded the Order of Australia [OAM] for his services to the RLSS for his dedication to the society and there was no mention of his Military service in the application for him to receive this award.

Above are the facts.  We will now expand on these facts for our Veteran readers to fully understand what we see happening here and then you decide if you wish to follow the 'lead' of this reporter in his quest to attempt the removal of the OAM.

The reporter approached CPMH for information on McGibbon.  These facts and a photo were forwarded to the reporter.  He failed to respond to the information provided either to thank us for the information or to question it against what he was preparing to make public.  Instead he went off on his own tangent and as a consequence        published and broadcast lies to the Australian population.  After reading all these facts follow the link into the media section and you will see exactly how he reported this story to the newspapers.

The story that hit the television news had it that McGibbon is not a returned Veteran at all.  Another lie, as the information above on his overseas service was passed to this reporter and he changed it to suit his story, the same as he cropped the photograph supplied to again confirm with his distorted lies that McGibbon had never worn false medals.  These can be seen on his chest in the uncropped photograph also in our "Media Wall of Shame", that you will be directed to shortly.  To top off the story he relayed to the television audiences, he made the inference that because McGibbon was not a Veteran and that he was exposed for being a bogus Viet Nam SAS Veteran, that the Veteran community should rally and petition the government to have the OAM bestowed upon him rescinded.

Having seen this story on TV, CPMH received many emails from an outraged Veteran community saying they were going to petition the Government to have this award removed.  We emailed them back with the following and we ask that all of you reading these pages also consider this before you entertain the request of this reporter to email the Government asking for the OAM to be rescinded.

First let me reiterate the facts, the truth that has been omitted from this reporters story:

Geoff McGibbon is an SAS Vietnam Veteran fraud.  He has worn Viet Nam medals and claimed to have been in the SAS in Vietnam.  He had been approached by SAS personnel about this in the late 1980's however he continued to wear the medals up to 2003 that we can confirm at this stage.

Geoff McGibbon is a genuine Veteran in his own right.  Even though he has been found to wear medals he has no entitlement to, CPMH must stress the fact that he has service of which he should be proud of and satisfied with.  If he had claimed only this service then he would not have appeared on these pages.  However in his defence of the lies published in both newspapers and the television news reports, CPMH will back him on his genuine service.

CPMH also does not endorse the reporter in his quest to have the OAM rescinded because of McGibbon's bogus Viet Nam service.  The awarding of the OAM was done through the RLSS and has nothing to do with his Military Service either real or bogus.     We have it on good authority that the RLSS nominated him for this award for his outstanding service to this organisation of which he became an Executive Director and therefore the Veteran community should not support the rescinding of the OAM requested by the reporter based on his bogus Viet Nam service alone.  It is out of our ball park because he has never been charged or convicted of this.  However as a concerned citizen you could request its rescinding and also that he be charged with the bogus veteran offences.

This email below was sent to the reporter to see if we could find out exactly what his agenda was.  He failed to respond to our request so the email was forwarded a second time.  Again he failed to respond to us.  That email is reproduced below in full.  To date, 11 Feb 2005, there still has not been a response to this email.

This is the delivery receipt.  We know this reporter got our email.

<<RE: WHAT'S THE STORY>> Your message