Entries with Surname (Title)s starting with 'J'

Surname: Jones
Christian Names: Russell Lee
Country: Australia
State or Province: NSW
City or Town: Taree
Service: RAN
Case Notes:

Russell Lee Jones born 12 Jan 1946

"Captain" Russell Lee Jones had a less than stellar naval career, during his twelve years service with the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) he rose very "steadily" to the rank of leading seaman. After his discharge he "whipped" in a few promotions to improve his social standing.  He simply eliminated the one thing that was holding him back - The Navy.

The real Leading Seaman Russell Lee Jones

Russell Jones served in the RAN from 7th July 1962 until 8th July 1974.  He was allocated to the Fleet Air Arm and finally worked as a leading seaman involved in  Navy Air Safety Equipment.  Most of his time was spent on shore bases, however he managed to get some sea time aboard HMAS Melbourne.  Between July 1962 and January 1970 he spent around 260 days on board HMAS Melbourne.   His sea time included some hours well off shore in Vietnam waters and a trip to Singapore, Malaysia and Borneo.We have no details of his sea time for the period 1970 to 1974. For his service he wears:

The Australian Active Service medal

General Service Medal

Vietnam Logistics support medal

Australian Service medal

On discharge from the RAN in 1974 Jones headed for the UK "to take up a job with the Coast Guard".  We assume the term Coast Guard refers to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency UK.  During his  supposed   service with the Maritime and Coast Guard Agency he claims to have earned a commission in the Royal Navy Reserve and "acquired a skippers ticket". We have the following information from  renowned UK maritime historians. Inter alia

"I am ex-Coastguard, and I can assure you that, strangely enough, the Coastguard does not have any ships of its own (!) Three (maybe four) extremely large deep-sea salvage tugs are chartered from their owners to be positioned at strategic points around the coast to provide casualty towage, fire fighting and rescue duties.  They are merchant ships (the Coastguard is a civilian organisation), fly the Red Ensign, are skippered by Merchant Navy Master Mariners, and are crewed by merchant seamen.

It is a fact that the RN Reserve has had no association with the Maritime Coast Guard Agency since the 1920s.  Our Naval historians tell us. Inter alia

"The Coastguard, although it has a number of former RN personnel serving on its books, has had no connection with the Ministry of Defence (RN) for over 80 years, and the small patrol boats and cruisers (the more commonly used term to describe these vessels) that the Coastguard use probably haven't been commanded by RN officers for over 100 years, the Coastguard had its own "Chief Officers" and "Mates" etc., the ranks don't even correspond to those in the RN.

"Have checked with the UK Maritime Coastguard Agency, they have no record of Russell Lee Jones ever having been employed by them, however, he could have been a volunteer of whom they do not keep records"

There is another "Coastguard" organization, it is the Royal National Lifeboat Institution and it operates numerous vessels from five to seventeen metres in length and is employed in "On shore" rescue work in the UK.  We are advised that  "All members of this organization are volunteers"  If Jones worked with this organization as a volunteer he could hardly claim the rank "Captain (MN)" for driving a seventeen metre boat".

Russell Jones returned to Australia in 2000 claiming the rank and title of  "Captain Merchant Navy" (MN).  Using the rank Captain MN is reserved for Master Mariners and is a privilege that comes after many years of dedicated service to the Merchant Navy.

When mixing in veterans'  circles in the Taree area of NSW, Russell Lee Jones insists on being addressed as "Captain Russell Lee Jones" and has signed documents using the rank of Captain (MN). We hold statements and Statutory Declarations in relation to the following statements credited to Jones.

"We first met R L Jones along with XXXXXX and some others who formed part of the Taree group.  when all present introduced themselves Jones said "Captain Russell Lee Jones" and of course XXXXX and others called him Captain".

XXXXXXX saw Jones sign documents going to DVA which bore the rank Captain. xxxx says that Jones in dealing with Taree council to secure premises for Taree Vietnam Veterans that letters and Council papers were signed Captain.  there may also have been correspondence sent to Mayo Private Hospital Taree similarly signed".

"I saw him sign letters to DVA with signature block of Captain.  XXXXXX saw him sign letters to Taree council as "Captain" between early 2004 and Oct 2004".

Below is a document that has been signed by Jones using the rank of  "Capt MN".

Russell Lee Jones is a Justice of the Peace in NSW.  He is listed by the NSW Attorney General's Office as "Captain" Russell Lee Jones as shown here.

We are not sure what the NSW Attorney General's Office may think about Jones fraudulently using the title of  "Captain" but we suggest he will soon find out.

More Statements

Jones told me "He was qualified as a ships master and that he was a master of a vessel which went around the UK doing fisheries inspections, intercepting fishing vessel and checking quotas - I am qualified to master anything up to a tanker.  he regaled me with stories of his exploits and those of his crew'".

 Jones told us he was discharged from the Navy as a chief.  "I was very disappointed that the Captain didn't even bother to say goodbye - I just walked off the ship.  That was when we realised that he wasn't an officer and said so and he said  "Oh I was only a CPO (Chief Petty Officer)  then'".

He said  "He'd teed up joining the RN Coast Guard before departing Australia"

He claimed "To have served for 15 years in the RAN, before joining the RN reserve working in the Coast Guard Service he called himself "Captain"".

He also said  "He had a pilot's license and had gone to England and joined the coast Guard as part of the RN where he had obtained his Captain ticket as a LT on RN Reserve".

During 2004 Jones, returned to England for a visit There was a lot of talk about  "Going to the South of England because he'd organized a re-union of his crew.  They were all very close because that's how he liked to run his ships'.

Below is a summary of claims made by Jones:

Claims the right to use the title of Captain Merchant Navy - Denied.

Claims to have held a commission in the Royal Navy Reserve - Denied.

Claims to have served for 15 years in the Royal Australian Navy - Denied.

Claims to have been a chief petty officer (CPO) in the Royal Australian Navy - Denied

Claims to have been master of a fisheries inspection vessel and qualified to master anything up to a tanker - Denied.

There is a lot of evidence supporting the facts that Jones uses the rank of "Captain" and claims to have been a Master Mariner - Why does Jones have no entitlement to that rank and title, and why is there no truth in the remainder of his claims?

Claims the right to the title of Captain Merchant Navy.

According to the Deputy Chief Examiner, of Masters and Mates, Seafarers Standards Training and Certification, at the Seafarers Training and Certification Branch, Maritime Coastguard Agency - Southport UK (The only authority in the UK that examines and qualifies Merchant Navy people) Jones has no entitlement to the rank of Captain Merchant Navy and therefore has no claim to the title of Master Mariner.  The Deputy chief Examiner said  "Unless MR Jones can provide evidence to the contrary he is not entitled to the rank of Captain (MN). Though it is not a crime in itself here in the UK to call oneself a captain, it would be, if used to mislead or cause offence or if used for financial gain". The same applies in Australian law.

When Jones joined a local NSW Coastal Patrol Rescue unit at  Forster, Reserve Road Forster NSW he presented the Licence shown below as his credentials.

The licence was described by Seafarers Training Branch as follows:

"Received confirmation from the Royal yacht Association (RYA) that the certificate is, or was genuine but expired on the 13th February 2002.  As stated in my previous email that particular RYA certificate is for small boats, such as a dinghy or rowing boats and the like.   An RYA certificate is not recognised by any administration towards any qualification on a merchant ship not even towards a qualification for merchant navy rating."

This licence is not required for use in UK waters, it is endorsed. "In the UK a license is not required to operate pleasure craft". Also note that Jones is wearing a uniform in the photograph shown on the licence. Was he wearing the rank of a Master Mariner when he acquired this licence, and was that done to make sure that the rank "Capt MN" was endorsed on it?

The licence is to drive very small pleasure craft, however, it looks official and was accepted in good faith by the Forster Coast Guard patrol, it was issued by the Royal Yacht Association (RYA) to "Captain RL Jones (MN)" - meaning Merchant Navy.  We are advised by the RYA as follows:

"The endorsement of the Captain (MN) title would have been at Jones request, it is unlikely that we would have checked this."

The document shows that he was examined by the "RNAS - Plymouth" that is an abbreviation for Royal Naval Air Station.  The RYA advise that "RNAS is a mistake and should read RNSA - Royal Naval Sailing Association who test candidates for the Royal Navy."

It is most unlikely that a person qualified as, and claiming to be a Captain Merchant Navy - a Master Mariner - would use a RYA "Rowing Boat" licence to gain entry to a NSW Coastal Rescue unit, when he should have in his possession appropriate qualifications far beyond that of driving dinghies.  We are also reliably advised that Jones has acquired a coxswains ticket as his current qualification to drive the Forster Coast Guard rescue boat.  Why would a man with a UK Master Mariners qualification licensed to drive ships up to tanker size require a coxswains ticket to drive a twenty foot rescue boat shown here.

Commission in the Royal Navy Reserve

All occurrences effecting  officers in the Royal Navy Reserve are listed in the London Gazette, this includes, commissions, promotions, resignations, awards and decorations.  Jones is not listed anywhere in the London Gazette.  We have searched and the Social Sciences department of the Birmingham Social Sciences Library reports as follows.

"Dear Sir

Thank you for your enquiry concerning the London Gazette. The Gazette is available online at www.gazettes-online.co.uk   I have searched the website, but am unable to retrieve the name in which you are interested."

Claims to have served for 15 years in the Royal Australian Navy

Jones served for twelve years in the Royal Australian Navy from 7 February 1962 to 8 July 1974.

Claims to have been a chief petty officer in the Royal Australian Navy

Jones's rank on discharge after twelve years Royal Australian Navy service was   Leading Seaman in the muster of Naval Air Safety Equipment - NASE

Claims to have been master of fisheries inspection vessel and qualified to master anything up to a tanker.

The Marine Fisheries Agency (MFA) in the UK told us:

"We do not have any records of this gentleman ever having worked for us.  that said, we do not operate fisheries patrol vessels directly as we utilise the Fisheries Protection Squadron of the Royal Navy

Fishery Officer

MFA Operations

London

An expert on UK naval matters then advised:

"The captain of a Fisheries Protection vessel (most commonly an Island class OPV) would be a Lieutenant Commander, he certainly would not be a captain by rank at the time of command".  Jones claimed to be a Royal Navy Reserve Lieutenant and master of a vessel involved in fisheries inspection vessel, his rank of Lieutenant was too low to be master of a RN Fisheries Protection Squadron vessel and his claimed rank of Captain MN would not apply to the RN Fisheries Protection Squadron.

Russell Lee Jones is a liar and a wannabe, he has no entitlement to the rank of Captain Merchant Navy or Royal Navy Reserve Lieutenant which he uses to "big note" himself in the Taree veteran community,  he should be aware that if he has used the bogus rank to gain a benefit he has committed an offence.  It seems that wannabes are naturally attracted to each other because he is part of the Doran crew from Taree NSW  (See the story directly below the Jones entry on the Cases page soon) Doran is also a chronic liar and a wannabe.

Russell Lee Jones' biggest problem is that everyone sees right through him.  He fools some of the people for only a short time, his haughty manner and lack of presence makes it obvious that he is not a captain's bootstrap.  Russell Lee Jones' insistence on being addressed as "Captain" should be treated with the derision it deserves by the good people of the Taree District.  He is no more a "Captain" than Long John Silvers parrot.

This is published in the public interest, particularly that of the Vietnam Veteran Community. All information presented here is fact and the truth. Reports from private citizens are supported by statements of fact and statutory declarations.

Surname: Jones
Christian Names: John Paul
Country: Australia
State or Province: Victoria
City or Town: Bentleigh
Service #: R62275
Service: Royal Australian Navy
Branch: Musician
Commencement of service: 28/06/1963
Completion of service: Unknown
Case Notes:

John Paul Jones was a Navy Musician with a bent for the flute and the piano.  He joined the RAN for nine years  in 1963.  He served mostly on Shore establishments until1965.  He then deployed on two occasions to the former Republic of South Vietnam aboard HMAS Sydney, a converted aircraft carrier, aka The Vung Tau Ferry.

John Paul Jones

The Department of Veterans Affairs Nominal Roll shows that Jones served for sixty eight days in South Vietnam.  In fact, he was  in Vietnam waters for a total of only five days and stayed aboard HMAS Sydney the whole time.  Sixty eight days are shown,  because the Navy counted the time from departure from the last Australian port until the first port of return.

John Paul Jones

For those five days in the safe sheltered waters of Vung Tau Harbour, Jones wears five medals, two of which are unofficial "tin" vanity trinkets.  The last two medals are self purchased and must not be worn on the left breast with genuine Defence Medals.

 Jones3

The two offensive medals are commemorative medals  commissioned by a Naval Association associated with HMAS Sydney.

Before the early 1990s there were no medals for RAN personnel who crewed the support ships serving Australians in Vietnam. This has since been rectified with the official Australian Active Service Medal and the Vietnam Logistic Support Medal which are the first and second medals being worn by Jones

Jones4

We have been lambasting RAN veterans for wearing these two, and other "Tin"  medals for many years, and still they are worn.  To exacerbate the situation,  John Paul Jones is an executive of the Bentleigh, Victoria Sub Branch,  of the Returned and Services League (RSL).    Obviously he has been wearing these abominations for many years and the Bentleigh Sub Branch has no regard for such matters.

If the President of this Sub Branch has no regard for Australian Governor General and Department of Defence medal wearing protocols, he should stand down and allow someone with more fortitude to take his place.

Jones spent around five days playing his flute in the Vietnam war and should have been overwhelmed by the his generous rack of the three medals he was officially presented with, but alas, he needed two more medals, perhaps to represent one medal for every day spent in Vietnam waters.

Should Australian Army and Air Force veterans adopt the same criterion,  most would have more that three hundred and sixty five medals.

Jones has well earned his place as a medals cheat on this website and he is in good company with many others of his ilk.

Surname: Jordan
Christian Names: Antony Francis
Country: Australia
State or Province: Victoria
City or Town: Melbourne
Service: Citizen Military Forces
Case Notes:

Antony "Tony" Francis Jordan.

1: CMF 1960's

2: Current Vice President VVAA Phillip Island (Museum Branch)

3: Convicted bogus Vietnam veteran.

4: Unsuccessful DVA  veteran's Disability Pension applicant

5: AATTV association scourge

6: Expelled from US Special Operations Association.......

Like to read more on this poor excuse for a soldier?

To simplify this entire saga of fraudulent representation one first needs to read the following two newspaper reports dated 16th and 19th of October 1980

ANZMI was approached by numerous veterans with complaints and protests regarding JORDAN.  Members of the VVAA were at odds as to why a convicted bogus veteran would hold the Executive position of Vice President of the Museum Branch at Phillip Island - accompanying his bogus veteran charges were offences of theft of ammunition and other Quatermaster Store items - for which he was also found guilty - and now he has access to donated memorabilia at the museum ....... this does not sit well with some veterans.

ANZMI were advised JORDAN has applied for a disability pension for injuries and illnesses he relates to his "war service" - again an involvement which has rankled many genuine veterans.  How could a part time soldier be considered for veteran status when he was never posted (allocated for duty) to Vietnam under the legal military process?  Checks and balances have shown JORDAN made his own way to Vietnam and once discovered by the Australian Army was immediately taken into custody and returned to Australia - the embarrassment and potential for an "international incident" had he been KIA (killed in action) would have been devastating for the government in power at the time.

With the above information/intelligence at hand ANZMI wrote to JORDAN giving him 17 days to reply.

As with most bogus veterans, JORDAN opted to ignore replying, and instead we received an email from a Level 4 Advocate.