Entries with Surname (Title)s starting with 'F'

Surname: Freshfield
Christian Names: Robert Michael
Country: Australia
State or Province: NSW
City or Town: Granville
Service: Army
Case Notes:

Robert Michael Freshfield is a wannabe and a typical show pony used to draw potential members into Veteran's organisations in the struggle for membership numbers, public recognition, and funds.

Many ex-service organisations harbour these individuals knowing full well that their tales of brave or spectacular war service are nothing more than lies.  In one way these wannabes are like the Vietnam War protestors as described by Hanoi, "useful idiots"

His freely published address block is:

Mr Bob Freshfield.

Jnr Vice President

Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia.

NSW Branch Inc.
Phone: 02 9682 1788  Fax: 02 9682 6134

At time of publication the executive members of the VVFA Granville were , according to their website.

National President: Tim McCombe OAM
Vice Presidents: Bob Tyrrell
Secretary/Treasurer: Bob Tyrrell (Acting)
NSW State President: Tim McCombe OAM
NSW Hon. Secretary: Nev Woodward

In emails to six State VVFA Secretaries we asked if Freshfield had ever been seen to wear the Infantry Combat Badge, there were only two replies.

One, from Nev Woodward, said that he has never seen him wear it, another said our representative should "get a life"

Freshfield's 3 1/2 months of service with 1 Australian Reinforcement Unit (1ARU) at Nui Dat and his 6 months with AFV Amenities and Welfare Unit, 1 Australian Logistic Support Group (1ALSG), Vung Tau, are well documented and these records deny any claims he has made of being a bush soldier with two Battalions and a semi-autonomous Infantry Platoon.

We base this exposure on information supplied by Veterans who sent us copies of emails written by Freshfield and a message that was posted by him in an online Infantry Battalion newsletter.  The Veterans supplied statements as to the authenticity of the emails.

We have been informed that he denies ever having sent his Vietnam service details over the internet, "someone else sent them after they hacked his password."

If this was the case, this "hacker" sent emails using Freshfield's name and e-mail address from late 2001 to mid 2004, before the impersonation was discovered and the password changed. Imagine that.

From our standpoint we firmly believe that the emails were written and sent by Freshfield.

Perhaps we could agree with him in one way in that he did not send his Vietnam service details over the internet, what he sent was a pack of lies and had little to do with his actual service.

In a total of three emails and a Battalion website newsletter entry, he made claims of war service with two Infantry Battalions and D&E Platoon Nui Dat.

The Infantry Battalions he says he served with on operations are 3RAR and 4RAR, the operations took place from 6 March to 2 October 1971.

In one ridiculous claim he said that he was in the bush on operations with both Battalions continuously from 18 June to 17 September with no break back at Nui Dat although there was a five day gap between two of them. The names of operations are available on the internet as are the dates, he obviously didn't take note of the dates.

In one email he went too far and angered some Veterans when he wrote;

"I was with Bravo Company 3RAR during Overlord. as [sic] nearly wiped out in the APC ambush on 12th June. Lost 5 mates, and 2 others a few days later"

He also wrote.

"Served in reinforcement as well as D&E Nui Dat from February to September"

In September 2002 this message was posted on a 3rd Battalion Association website.  (Please bookmark us before going to the site below as it will take you away from our site)

Scroll down the above page to "WEBSITE CONTACTS" and you will find this entry

Bob Freshfield <bobsup@ozemail.com.au> is the webmaster for the Vietnam Veterans Federation www.vvfagranvile.org.au. He writes

" I checked out your site and found it a worthwhile place to browse. I was a 'Nasho" doing time at 1ARU during 1971. I got sent to, but not posted, 3RAR during "Briar Patch", "Overlord", "Iron Fox", then to 4RAR (not posted) for "Hermit Park", "North Ward" and "Ivanhoe". Shifted around among 3RAR BCoy and 4RAR CCoy and the Kiwi Coy as well. A lot of forward scout work too! - I will put a link on our site, as soon as time permits"

Fact. Infantry Privates were not "seconded to", "sent to" or "shafted off to" other units as Freshfield stated in his emails. They were posted or detached to other units with the required paperwork being raised.

For you old Infantrymen, can you picture a reinforcement from 1ARU joining you for a few days on an operation and he's given forward scout duties? Never happen.

This was a particularly stupid claim to make.

"I was with Bravo Company 3RAR during Overlord. as [sic] nearly wiped out in the APC ambush on 12th June. Lost 5 mates, and 2 others a few days later"

">>>> the ambush was on 3 APC's taking D&E and Reo's back to The Dat after Overlord finished, and 3RAR didn't want us anymore. Well, not for a few weeks."

Here's why. There are some well-worn myths about this factual Armoured Personnel Carrier ambush and Freshfield only retells these myths, not the facts, clearly displaying that he was nowhere near the incident.

We would like to publish the facts of this ambush but there are too many wannabes who would like to use them. There is another traumatised wannabe on our books who thought he was there on the day as well, his tale mirrors Freshfield's and the myths but is actually more gruesome.

To review Freshfield's claims in brief.

Served on operations with 3RAR and 4RAR, 6 March to 2 October, forward scout....Denied.

Served in Vietnam beginning February 1971....Denied

Served at Nui Dat from February to October 1971....Denied.

"Seconded" to Battalions for operational duties....Denied

Served with D&E Platoon, HQ Coy, 1ATF, Nui Dat....Denied.

Was present when an Armoured Personnel Carrier was ambushed causing loss of life....Denied.

His records show he arrived in Vietnam on 25 March, this date is correct according to other Military records and a letter he wrote to the Central Army Records Office,  (CARO

Two sets of records also show he did indeed leave Nui Dat for Vung Tau on 7 July.

We could find nothing in the way of records or supplied information that could give truth to his lies about serving with 3RAR, 4RAR and D&E Platoon, Nui Dat.  We did, however, find plenty of information to show that he was never even near these units.

His actual Vietnam service was:

1 Australian Reinforcement Unit, Nui Dat. From 25 March to 7 July 1971 with a seven day detachment to another unit which we believe to be AFV Amenities and Welfare Unit, 1ALSG, Vung Tau.

He took a two day leave  from 1ARU on 2 -3 July prior to finally being posted to AFV Amenities on 7 July, returning to Australia on 2 December 1971.

People not connected to CPMH had questioned Freshfield on these claims, his replies varied and are shown in time order. All communications were by e-mail, they were sent to, and replies received from, Bob Freshfield  bobsup@ozemail.com.au

November 2001. His reply was not recorded after being challenged by a Veteran but the Veteran's memory says it was something like this.

"He more or less said he didn't care as he knew what he did and I didn't"

16 June 2004.

"I don't care anymore about what I did or didn't do in Vietnam.  I won't discuss it anymore over the internet. Get a life."

In answer to the same questions from CPMH his reply changed from dismissive to outright denial, a new defence.

11 September 2005.

"The claims made in your email were NOT made by me. I have no idea about any email supposedly to be have been sent by me [sic] as I have NEVER made such claims on the internet. I will stand by whatever records the Army have of me.  I have no idea what claims you are referring to. This will be the last response from me on this matter"

His reply to an e-mail from a concerned person who questioned his post on the 3RAR Association website.

22 September 2005.

"I have NEVER put my Vietnam Service details over the internet. Mischievous beings who had access to my emails through Mymail.com.au over the internet sent out a lot of crap until I changed my password, and it stopped."

A review of two replies.

11 September 2005.

"I have no idea what claims you are referring to"

Why didn't he tell us the "hacker" story he used in his next reply?

22 September 2005.

"Mischievous beings who had access to my emails >>>sent out a lot of crap until I changed my password, and it stopped"

Did he finally discover this impersonation sometime between 11 and 22 September 2005 after it had been going on since November 2001? This seems highly unlikely.

A Veteran who served with D&E Platoon at the time of the APC ambush and who actually lost mates on that day, sent this email to Freshfield on the 33rd anniversary of the incident.