Entries with Surname (Title)s starting with 'C'

Surname: Crase
Christian Names: Jeffery J
Country: Australia
State or Province: SA
City or Town: Adelaide
Service: RAAF
Case Notes:

CRASE, JEFFERY J.

Legion of Frontiersmen of the Commonwealth, (Countess Mountbatten's Own) and Cadets Commanding Officer.
"Lieutenant Colonel" Jeffery. J. Crase JP VMSM LMSM LCM ACM AMM CDM , struts his stuff and his sixteen medal ribbons on ANZAC Day ceremonial parades in Adelaide under the noses of the Returned Services League (RSL) and genuine  Veterans. He has struggled for many years to be seen as an "officer and gentleman" and has added a lot of medal ribbons to his lonely Defence Force Service Medal (DFSM) to make believe he is a person of some consequence.
On ANZAC Day 2003 we are reliably advised that he was wearing the rank of a Brigadier but now he appears to have settled on the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.

Jeffery J Crase may appear to be a decorated hero in his Frontiersmen uniform in Adelaide but to the genuine veteran community he is a comical wannabe who should not be in a position to influence the development of our youth as he does in his Legion of Frontiersmen of the Commonwealth Cadet Unit.

Here is a close up of the array of ribbons that Crase wears on his Army type uniform on pre-ANZAC Day commemorative occasions in Adelaide.

There are two distinct groups of Frontiersmen, they are

1.  The Legion of Frontiersmen of the Commonwealth (Countess Mountbatten's Own) and

2. Legion of Frontiersmen Australian Division.

Crase is a member of the former and they are the group that plays soldiers wearing military rank, badges and medals. The latter, the Australian Division has moved away from militarism and no longer uses military ranks, they concentrate on doing good work such as locating, recording and maintaining Australian war memorials. A Commissioner of the Australian Division told us recently:

"The Australian Division is a uniformed Corps, however since 2000 we no longer wear Australian military uniforms, rank or insignia.  We do not use military titles or parade as military units, when we march in public on Anzac Day; we do so with our original service units in civilian dress.  We did this to avoid confusion with the public's interest, as we did not wish to be depicted as a quasi-military organisation and also to differentiate us from the militaristic Frontiersmen of the Commonwealth. We work closely with most ex service organisations and associated bodies; we are not associated with any Australian Intelligence gathering organisation".

Crase is a different kind of wannabe. During his twenty two years in the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) he attained the rank of Sergeant in the RAAF Police but this was never enough for him, even when he was serving he yearned for the kudos he imagined came with being a commissioned officer.
An ex RAAF serviceman who knew him well during his RAAF service said.
"This jerk attempted to enter the Officers Mess in Darwin in the early 90's wearing his Frontiersmen Uniform (Commander) with medals/ribbons. He was subsequently identified by a real Officer of the RAAF as a Non Commissioned Officer. Apparently, Crase stood his ground stating that his status within the Frontiersmen allowed him entry into the Mess irrespective of his low rank in the RAAF. It was a failure and he was kicked out. If he had entered he would have out ranked the Officer Commanding ."
Here is a photo of Crase taking during his service days with the RAAF.

Commissions in the Australian Defence Force are hard won, every Commission is signed by the Governor General on behalf of the Queen and that is your entrée to the Officers Mess not some "cock and bull" commission from a pseudo soldiers organisation, signed by a make believe general.

Nowadays Jeffery J Crase, the ex RAAF police sergeant with delusions of grandeur, believes he has made the big time, he is Lieutenant Colonel Jeffery J Crase JP VMSM LMSM LCM ACM AMM CDM  a Frontiersman of the Commonwealth and Frontiersmen Cadet boss in Adelaide.  As an ex RAAF sergeant with no operational service, he is entitled to wear only the Defence Force Service Medal (DFSM) on his left breast on public parades and eventually, when issued, the new Australian Defence Medal.

Each year on ANZAC Day eve, the Adelaide RSL sponsors an official remembrance event involving the youth of the city, as described on their web site.
"Young people from many organisations including Surf Lifesaving South Australia, Australian Army Cadets, Guides SA, SA Police Rangers, Scouts Australia (SA), St John Ambulance Australia, The Legion of Frontiersmen, Salvation Army, Australian Red Cross - SA Division, Air Force Cadets, Navy Cadets, CFS Cadets, SES Cadets, Air Youth League of SA and the Australian Turkish Community eagerly participate in this act of remembrance which has become an integral part of our ANZAC Day commemorations".

In 2003 Crase was seen outside South Australia's Government house wearing an "Army Style" uniform with the rank of Brigadier and a full chest of Frontiersmen ribbons. On 24 April 2005 Crase, wearing the rank of  "Lieutenant Colonel" and his Frontiersmen medal ribbons, attended the Youth Vigil ceremony with his contingent of Legion of Frontiersmen Cadets.
In 2006 in Adelaide he led the ANZAC Day parade marshals, resplendent in his regalia, on the official parade.

As best we can, we have identified and listed the Frontiersman ribbons.

Left Breast.
Defence Force Service Medal (The only genuine medal, for 15 years efficient service to the Australian Defence Force)
Voluntary Medical Service Ribbon  (VMSM)
International Year of Volunteers citation
Regular Forces Service Medal (Tin Junk)
CMF/Reserve Medal (Tin Junk)
Legion Meritorious Service Medal    (LMSM)
Legion Cross of Merit                       (LCM)
Australian Cross of Merit                  (ACM)
Australian Medal of Merit                  (AMM)
Long and Efficient Service Medal with Rosette
Legion Centennial Medal
Australian 75th Anniversary Medal
Canadian Division Efficient Service Medal  (CDM)
Canadian Division Torch Bearers Medal

Right Breast.
NT Govt Fire Citation.
Tea Tree Gully Council 10th Cadet Anniversary Medal.

A Senior member of The Legion of Frontiersmen, Australian Division said on the 6 June 2006 that Crase's behaviour was rude and inappropriate.
"Certainly the Australian Division would not expect to see their members wearing this type of arrangement at Official Services such as ANZAC Day, it would not seem appropriate – even a touch rude, but at a private function just like a Masonic Lodge we don't have a problem with it.   I hope this person is not trying to pretend to be an army officer with a rank he did not carry when he was in the service, how could a member of the public not think otherwise. That would be immoral to say the least.

The situation surrounding the wearing of Frontiersmen medals together with genuine medals was exacerbated when a careless public servant from the Office of the Prime Minister and Cabinet wrote on 12 Aug 2005 to a Frontiersman incorrectly authorising him to wear his Frontiersmen medals alongside his genuine Defence Force medals. The letter said inter alia.
"Thank you for your letter dated 4 Aug 2005 seeking permission to wear an award issued by the Legion of Frontiersmen alongside your medals issued by the department of Defence.
As the awards you mention are not in the official award system of honours and awards there is no need to seek formal permission to accept and wear them"
The letter was published in the magazine of the Legion of Frontiersmen Australian Division. The policy expressed in the letter is straight out wrong and following overtures from ANZMI the Office of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet agreed to rescind it immediately. The department claims to have been unaware that the letter had been sent and expressed concern because it contradicts their policy.
Their rescinding letter, an excerpt shown below, includes current policy and says inter alia.
"as the awards you mention are not in the official Australian system of honours and awards, there is no need to seek formal permission to accept and wear them." This is correct, but a more complete answer would have noted that correct observance of protocol requires that only official Australian honours and awards are worn on the left.
I understand that some Frontiersmen have erroneously interpreted the letter published in your magazine as permission to wear their Legion of Frontiersmen medals "alongside" other medals on the left.  Whilst permission is not required to wear awards issued by the Legion of Frontiersmen, protocol  requires that they are worn on the right, separately from medals in the Australian honours system"

Despite the protocol from the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, Honours and Awards section The Legion of Frontiersmen of the Commonwealth still insist on mixing their "Frontie baubles" with government issued medals. A directive on  their web site says  -  Positioning of Medals:
"All legion medals will be worn above the left breast pocket after any government medals"
The South Australian RSL was contacted to comment on the blatant abuse of medals protocol on their ceremonial days.
The Adelaide, South Australia, RSL said :
"Our CEO is on the warpath over medal protocol and has spoken with a number of unit association presidents where he knows that their members are the ones concerned and has written to SA medal mounting companies stating policy and asking for their cooperation. An article will also be included in our next newspaper "

Our last report from Adelaide RSL was:
"An update on our medal article is in our newspaper. We received an unsigned and unidentified hand written letter from a former National Servicemen telling us how unfair our policy is and how proud he and his mates are to wear their extra medals. He pleaded with us to alter policy otherwise his membership and medals can go in the rubbish bin. Our President's answer to that was that he hopes he'll keep his word. We are unable to identify the writer and shall include it in our next edition pointing out that it was from an anonymous, unsigned writer and with an appropriate response from our President" .
Well done Adelaide, a slow start but a great recovery, their newspaper article is shown here.

MEDAL PROTOCOL

RSL guidelines state that medals and awards may only be worn on the left breast where issued to the wearer by the Australian government.
Foreign awards that have had Australian government approval may also be worn in the order of precedence specified in the regulations.
Commemorative medals (other than those authorized by Government), medals purchased by individuals or medals worn on behalf of another person should only be worn on the right breast. The RSL State Standing Policy confirms these requirements. The following extract comes from a company that supplies replica and commemorative medals: We cannot and do not encourage the wearing of unofficial commemorative medals with official ones. Wearing unofficial commemorative medals with issue medals we believe, destroys the integrity of Australia's honours and awards system. Those who are determined to wear them however, should be wearing them on a separate rack from official medals and wearers should abide by the guidelines laid down by the various ex-service organization peak bodies.
Further details can be obtained from the website: www.itsanhonour.gov.au

On 18 April 2007 The Hon Bruce Billson MP, Minister Assisting the Minister for Defence and Minister for Veterans Affairs authorised the following press release.

Minister Assisting the Minister for Defence Media Mail List

CORRECT WEARING OF SERVICE MEDALS ENCOURAGED

The Minister Assisting the Minister for Defence, Bruce Billson, today
warned people against posing as war veterans on Anzac Day, indicating
that such behaviour was disrespectful to veterans and Service personnel
and punishable by law.

In 2003 Mr Billson was instrumental in seeing tougher penalties
introduced for the improper use of Service medals and decorations to
falsely represent a returned Service person.  His advocacy to
strengthen penalties and to improve public education about the proper
wearing of Service medals dates back to 1988 when he was a Backbencher.

“Across the country, Australians will gather on Anzac Day to commemorate
the lives of Australians lost in war and other military operations and to
reflect on the service of our Defence personnel,” he said.

“Veterans and serving personnel will wear their Service medals at
commemorative events, with a growing number of people also wearing medals
as a tribute to loved ones, including deceased family members.

“There is a protocol governing the wearing of medals and people are
encouraged to follow these guidelines to avoid misrepresentation or
disrespect to our veterans.

“Only the original medal recipient is entitled to wear medals on the
left, above the heart. Relatives’ medals may be worn on the right,” Mr
Billson said.

“Occasionally a person will wrongly claim to be a returned veteran and
wear medals to which they are not entitled. This practice is deceitful
and disrespectful to our veterans.

“Further, there are a number of unofficial medals which are sold
commercially and are not recognised through the Australian honours
system. These awards should not be worn at public events on Anzac Day,”
he said.

Under the Defence Act 1903 the penalties for the improper use of Service
decorations and for impersonating Service personnel include a fine of up
to $3300, six months imprisonment, or both.

ecently two people have been found guilty of offences under Sections 80
A and 80 B of the Defence Act for falsely claiming entitlements to
medals. Further cases, resulting from the wearing of medals for which no
entitlement exists, are currently subject to legal proceedings.

Information about the correct wearing of medals can be found on the
Department of Veterans’ Affairs website,
www.dva.gov.au or the Defence Honours
& Awards website,
www.defence.gov.au/medals

Media information:
Cameron Hill (Mr Billson) 0408 239 521
Defence Media Liaison   (02) 6265 3343 or
0408 498 664

ANZMI wrote to Crase requesting an explanation of his behaviour.
He replied as follows: